Archived Blog Posts
How well are you prepared for the damage from an unexpected fire?
Each fire job requires a unique solution, we have your answers to restoring at SERVPRO!
Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Smoke and Soot facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke:
There are two different types of smoke- wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of North Central Mecklenberg County will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting.
Have questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage? Call us Today- 704-596-9700
We at SERVPRO of North Central Mecklenberg County want to help you prepare for Hurricane Season
Hurricane Season is here!
-Make sure you have bottled water, a first aid kit, flashlights, a battery-powered radio, non-perishable food items, blankets, clothing, prescription drugs, eyeglasses, personal hygiene supplies, and a small amount of cash or traveler's checks.
- Take proactive steps to protect your property from loss. Install storm shutters or cover windows prior to a hurricane. Be sure there is no loose siding on your home and no damaged or diseased trees growing over your home.
- Take an inventory of your personal property, such as clothes, jewelry, furniture, computers and audio/video equipment. Photos and video of your home, as well as sales receipts and the model and the serial numbers of items, will make filing a claim simpler, leave a copy of your inventory with friends or relatives, email it to yourself, and/or store it in a safe location. In addition, add insurance information to your inventory information- the name of your company and agent, policy number and contact information.
- Move all of your important documents to a safe location. Take them with you when you evacuate or store them in a safe deposit box outside the area.
- Make a plan for your pets. Not all emergency shelters will take pets. Check with your local veterinarian for help with plan.
- Review your insurance coverage. What does your insurance policy cover? What does it exclude? The standard homeowners' insurance policy does not cover flood damage. Check if your policy covers debris removal and sewer back-up.
Above all else, stay safe!
Restoring YOUR Lake Norman Commercial Property After Water Damage
We are always on call and ready to go!
Flooding and water damage events at Charlotte or Lake Norman commercial properties are often complex with numerous issues that require a knowledgeable and flexible response. Whether we're dealing with a relatively small water cleanup scenario or a large scale event, we work quickly to assess each unique situation and isolate the damaged area. In many instances, normal operations can continue in a temporary space while we restore your facility.
Restoring Commercial Properties Presents Unique Challenges
Our professionals are trained to be mindful of legal and environment concerns and strive to fully restore the damaged area while working within your budgetary constraints. We understand that every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when an emergency situation arises in YOUR business, give us a call at 704-596-9700 and we'll be there fast with the help that you need!
Dont forget about your fire alarms!
Fire alarm going off due to smoke
The number one reason to install a fire alarm is to make the building safe for your employees, customers, and tenants. A combination of smoke and heat detectors, sirens and bells, and strobe lights detect and alert building occupants of a fire, giving them ample time to evacuate in an orderly fashion. A few examples on why its important to test your alarms are as followed but not limited to:
- Fire alarms save lives
- Fire alarms reduce property loss
- Fire alarms shorten your recovery time
- Fire alarms may qualify you for insurance discounts
- Fire alarms keep you code compliant
The National Fire Alarm Code requires weekly and quarterly visual checks, more thorough semi- annual tests, and professional yearly inspections. Cleaning up after a fire and restoring a home or business to its original condition is a job that requires professionals. That's where SERVPRO of North Central Mecklenberg County comes in! Give us a call at 704-596-7900 todayin case a fire occurs & restoration is needed.
What makes us stand out from the rest? Let us give you one example!
Outstanding Sales Performance Award given at SERVPRO 50th convention sits proudly on Dan Kelly's desk
SERVPRO of North Central Mecklenberg County has won many awards in the past, but this one we are super proud of! Recently we received this award at SERVPRO's 50th convention located in Sacramento, California. Our owner, Dan Kelly, was one of the many recognized for having outstanding sale services provided to the community. What makes us different you ask? Here at SERVPRO North Central Mecklenberg County we go above and beyond the company's slogan "Like it Never happened". We have highly skilled professionals in and out of the office that will make sure you are happy and satisfied once your project is completed! Would you like to see first hand on how we operate? Give us a call at 704-596-9700 and let us show you why SERVPRO is the right choice for you.
Have a Business that needs a little bit of love? SERVPRO has the answer to your dreams!
Our tech proudly cleaning a commercial property
To some, it doesn't matter on how good the service is or how friendly employees are when entering a business. Studies show 9 out 10 people recognize cleanliness immediately when entering an establishment. That means they can quickly determine if your services are wanted.
SERVPRO of North Central Mecklenberg County is here to help you keep your business clean and professional for all of your clientele needs!
Whether its needing carpets cleaned, upholstery steamed, or even just a fresh coat of paint on walls- we are the guys you need! Our technicians are always on call and are always ready to help restore or upgrade your property. Please call us at 704-596-9700 to discuss how we can keep your business look like nothings ever happened!
Prepare for Fall
As we all begin to tackle cleanup chores, please dont lose sight on safety. SERVPRO of North Central Mecklenburg County wants to remind our readers that this is a good time to be aware of safety and health.
Now is a good time to test, clean, and replace the batteries in your smoke detectors as outlined by the manufacturer.
While you're at it, check your fire extinguishers. Businesses are required to inspect their extinguishers annually. You should be doing the same.
Change out those furnace air filters as well. After a long hot summer, a fresh filer helps reduce stress on the furnace or heat pumps fan.
Pay attention to the tools and cleaning chemicals you may be using. Keep them away from children and pets.
Finally, remember to use proper lifting techniques. After a relaxing summer, we need to remember our limits!
Happy and Safe Cleaning from your local SERVPRO!
Dont forget those pipes!!
Pipes outside of your house can look like this during the winter if not properly taken care of!
Sometimes we forget that our pipes are just as important as any other season preparation for our homes or business properties. Here at SERVPRO North Central Mecklenburg County, we are the people to call when this happens! Before the summer ends, we have a few quick tips to make sure you avoid your pipes from bursting as well as getting them ready for Autumn!
- Wrap outside faucets
- Caulk around pipes where they enter the house
- Disconnect garden hoses
- Drain in-ground sprinkler systems
- Let a stream of water run, if the temperature drops below freezing.
- Open cupboard doors in the kitchen and bathroom.
- Shut off and drain your water system if you are leaving home for several days.
Call SERVPRO today for all of your restoration needs at 704-596-9700!
UH-OH! There's water at my property! What do I do?
When these types of situations occur, it is possible that your commercial property will suffer from commercial flood damage, requiring you to call in a professional restoration company like SERVPRO. The combination of water and damage can create many problems with your company's building. Once a hole, flood, or leak happens in your business' structure, it is likely that commercial flood damage took place inside your property.
When water enters a area in the building, problems can get caused that are best treated by a professional and highly trained team like our SERVPRO technicians. We know how to mitigate many types of commercial flood damage here at North Central Mecklenburg County. Being that we are local, we have experience in dealing with issues created by leaks, burst pipes, & storms.
Flood Damage and moisture can then create several issues with substances that make up the structural components of your commercial property. Saturated building materials can lose their structural integrity and deteriorate. Also, then if organic substances stay wet for more than 48 hours, fungal growth can occur.
Whenever any H2O enters your home even if it is in the form of snow, it can cause your place of structural business issues. If you ever notice water inside your commercial property, call SERVPRO of North Central Mecklenburg County at (704) 596-9700 24/7.
Summer Time in Charlotte
Summer has came along once more and your local SERVPRO of North Mecklenberg County is here to provide some quick tips!
- Hydrate in Advance- Try to prepare your body by drinking plenty of fluids beforehand. Of course on those days you will need to stay extra hydrated, but having your body prepared for the amount of sweat it will be giving off is a start to staying cool!
- Dress for the heat- Some days we dont remind ourselves that we can stay cooler by simply wearing the right gear. Sun hats, UPF 50 shirts, etc are some of our favorites to keep around for these hot days!
- Reduce heat by setting up a misting system- While this obliviously doesn't cool down the temperature of the air, this does help to keep your skin moistened and cool you down by evaporating. You can make most of these systems for about $15.
- Set up a shade Canopy- For those cookouts, pool parties, or even just social gatherings. The better shade you have from the sun, the more you can enjoy these events comfortably.
- But all in all, have some summer fun! There are so many places around Charlotte to spend with your family to stay cool!
Why SERVPRO of North Central Mecklenburg County?
As many of you know working in different job fields the behind the scenes often goes unnoticed. A year and a half ago I- Nichole began working for SERVPRO of North Central Mecklenburg County. Working in the office has always seemed easy to me. For years I worked in higher education, but this has been different. SERVPRO of North Central Mecklenburg County isn't just a "job" to me. Why SERVPRO some might ask? Well, it all starts with community, communication, and customer service. SERVPRO of North Central Mecklenburg County has showed me how important it is to get involved with the customers. Many places of employment people are often simply just a number. The first week on the job it was great to see how personal the office staff and production teams can get. When I say personal NOOOO not being nosey, but just checking on the customers. A simple call, Hello this is Nichole from SERVPRO I just wanted to check on you. We have been doing some work at your home how are things going. Yeah it seems little, but it goes a long way. Not only is customer service and communication a big factor for SERVPRO of North Central Mecklenburg County, but community. I have never worked for a company that the owner loves to support local businesses, schools and all about bettering the area. When someone asks me where I am employed or what makes our franchise different from the rest, I have so many things to share and for that alone I know this is where I am supposed to be.
Lake Norman Residents, are you Hurricane Prepared?
We at SERVPRO of North Central Mecklenburg County want to remind residents of Charlotte, Huntersville, Cornelius and Davidson, NC that now is the time to start preparing for the upcoming hurricane season.
-Make sure you have bottled water, a first aid kit, flashlights, a battery-powered radio, non-perishable food items, blankets, clothing, prescription drugs, eyeglasses, personal hygiene supplies, and a small amount of cash or traveler’s checks.
-Take proactive steps to protect your property from loss. Install storm shutters or cover windows prior to a hurricane. Be sure there is no loose siding on your home and no damaged or diseased trees growing over your home.
-Take an inventory of your personal property, such as clothes, jewelry, furniture, computers and audio/video equipment. Photos and video of your home, as well as sales receipts and the model and the serial numbers of items, will make filing a claim simpler, leave a copy of your inventory with friends or relatives, e-mail it to yourself, and/or store it in a safe location. In addition, add insurance information to your inventory information – the name of your company and agent, policy number and contact information.
-Move all of your important documents to a safe location. Take them with you when you evacuate or store them in a safe deposit box outside the area.
-Make a plan for your pets. Not all emergency shelters will take pets. Check with your local veterinarian for help with plan.
-Review your insurance coverage. What does your insurance policy cover? What does it exclude? The standard homeowners’ insurance policy does not cover flood damage. Check if your policy covers debris removal and sewer back-up.
Above all else, stay safe!
Know who to call,Cornelius, for your Water and Flooding Needs
Flooding and water emergencies don’t wait for regular business hours and neither do we. SERVPRO of North Central Mecklenburg County provides emergency cleaning and restoration services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week—including all holidays.
Faster To Any Size Disaster
Flooding and water damage is very invasive. Water quickly spreads throughout your home and gets absorbed into floors, walls, furniture, and more. SERVPRO of North Central Mecklenburg County arrives quickly and starts the water extraction process almost immediately. This immediate response helps to minimize the damage and the cleaning and restoration costs.
Need Emergency Service? Call Us 24/7 – 704-596-9700
Water Damage Timeline
- Water quickly spreads throughout your property, saturating everything in its path.
- Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and belongings.
- Furniture finishes may bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets.
- Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp.
Hours 1 - 24:
- Drywall begins to swell and break down.
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
- Furniture begins to swell and crack.
- Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods spread and stain.
- A musty odor appears.
48 Hours to 1 Week:
- Mold and mildew may grow and spread.
- Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp.
- Metal begins to rust and corrode.
- Furniture warps and shows signs of mold.
- Paint begins to blister.
- Wood flooring swells and warps.
- Serious biohazard contamination is possible.
More Than 1 Week:
- Restoration time and cost increase dramatically; replacing contaminated materials and structural rebuilding may be extensive.
- Structural safety, mold growth, and biohazard contaminants pose serious risks to occupants.
About SERVPRO of North Central Mecklenburg County
SERVPRO of North Central Mecklenburg County specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
For more information follow us on Facebook:
Sign In for Continuing Education Class
Here at SERVPRO of North Central Mecklenburg County we value learning and education. Dealing with restoration and construction there are always changes to rules and guidelines. Rules and guidelines don't just change for those completing the work, but standards change for insurance companies as well. April 26, 2019 we hosted a continuing education class at Davidson College. The topic of this class was Fire and Property Damage. The attendees of this class were insurance agents, adjusters, relators, and some of our very own technicians and supervisors. This class was a great learning experience to all and it was a great way for insurance adjusters to get education credits to keep license up and our technicians to stay certified with the IICRC. When people say WHY SERVPRO this is just one of many reasons.
Thunderstorm Safety Tips
Severe thunderstorms can be dangerous and even life threatening. Being prepared beforehand can keep you safe and secure during a thunderstorm. Here are some safety tips that you can do before, during, and after the thunderstorm.
- Keep an up to date medical kit within your home in an accessible area.
- Keep multiple flashlights with extra batteries, you don't know if you could lose power.
- Be stocked up on extra food and water
- If anyone in your family takes a special type of medicine, keep an extra stock with your medical kit.
- Check the weather forecast and be up to date on the storm around your area.
- Take shelter in a safe and sturdy area and stay inside.
- Turn off your air conditioning and anything else that uses a large amount of power
- If flash flooding occurs, get to the highest ground possible.
- Check around your home to see if you have any damages to your structure or property.
- Avoid any downed power lines.
- Be neighborly! Check in on your neighbors, especially anyone who is elderly or requires special assistance.
- Continue to monitor the storm and watch its path.
Grease Fires and How To Prevent Them
This kitchen suffered fire damage from a grease fire in the local Charlotte area.
Grease fires are one of the number one causes of home fires and home injuries. A grease fire can potentially cause you to lose your kitchen, our even your home if they are not dealt with properly. Here are proper ways to deal with a grease fire and ways you can prevent a grease fire.
First off, how does a grease fire start?
- A grease fire can occur when cooking oil becomes too hot and begins to ignite itself. Vegetable oils commonly have a smoking point of 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
I've created a grease fire, what do I do?
- DO NOT PUT WATER ON A GREASE FIRE. Some may think the number one way to put out a fire is with water. As that may be correct in some situations, within this situation it is not. The water instead will cause the burning oil to splash which will cause the fire to spread instantly.
- Instead of using water, you want to starve the fire of oxygen so grab a metal lid or baking sheet and cover the fire.
- Turn off the heat source
- If the fire itself is small ,you can pour baking soda or salt to put it out. If you don't have those, you can use a Class B dry chemical fire extinguisher to extinguish the fire.
IF YOU CANNOT EXTINGUISH THE FIRE, EVACUATE IMMEDIATELY AND CALL 911
How do I prevent a grease fire?
- If you are ever cooking, frying, boiling, or any type of cooking, it is best to stay in the kitchen at all times to keep an eye on everything
- Keep anything flammable away from your stovetop
- If you exceed recommended grease temperatures and notice it begin to smoke, turn off the burner and let it cool.
- Keep a lid near the pan you are cooking in
Remember anytime you are cooking with heat, be smart and be prepared!
Odor Problem? We know just what to do!
Tired of your home spelling bad? Let the experts at SERVPRO of North Central Mecklenburg County come out and inspect your home and offer an effective plan for removing that smell. Be it pet odor, barbeque odor, cigarette odor or mold, we use the IICRC industry standards to eliminate the smells. Not only do we use the IICRC standards, but our technicians are also IICRC certified in Odor Control. We are used time and time again by real estate professionals to remove cigarette smoke odors from a home before it is put up for sale. We also will thoroughly clean your carpets and ducts and vents if necessary. Call our office at (704)596-9700 to discover what we can do to help start your New Year off right.
Ways to Prevent Kitchen Fires
Kitchen Fire Spreading Quickly
House fires happen year around. Kitchen fires are number 1 on the list of leading causes of house fires. The kitchen is an area of the house that is used daily, but can be the most dangerous. There are a few safety tips SERVPRO of North Central Mecklenburg County would like to share with you. Next time you are in the kitchen try to do the following:
1) Pull back your hair and roll up your shirt sleeves to keep them away from cooking services
2) Keep children and animals away from cooking surfaces.
3) Use kitchen time so you know when food is done.
4) Check and make sure the stove top and oven are completely off when exiting the kitchen.
5) Keep a lid close by when you are cooking to smother small fires.
6) Keep pot holders, towels, paper towels away from the stove top.
7) When using cooking oil don't leave the kitchen and be very attentive.
These are things we often forget about, but can cause a kitchen fire quickly.
MOLD MOLD MOLD
Mold is a fungi and it’s is everywhere in nature. There is mold in the outside air we breathe. The issue with mold indoors is the type of mold that has developed and its concentrations.
When an environment contains the right amount of nutrients, moisture, and oxygen with ideal temperatures, mold growth can occur. Mold thrives between 60-90 degrees Fahrenheit. Mold enjoys the humidity of Charlotte.
Mold uses cellulose materials as nutrients for its growth. Some forms of cellulose materials that exist in an indoor environment include the following:
- Wood Members
- Hardwood Flooring
Mold is typically fuzzy or wooly in texture with colors ranging from black, green and brown to yellow, gray, pink and white.
The type of mold that exists in an indoor environment cannot be determined by the naked eye.
An on-site inspection by a professional will help develop a proper course of action. We proudly service the Charlotte area as well as the Huntersville, Cornelius and Davidson areas. We listen to your concern's, be it young or old family members, pets, or other limiting factors. We are here to help at (704)-596-9700
Mold vs. Health
How mold can affect your health?
The effects of mold on individuals varies. Our body is constantly battling various intruders and one of those intruders is mold. While many people have strong immune systems to battle these intrusions, even the healthiest individuals suffer from adverse health effects from mold due to one of the following:
- Mold Allergies
- Weak or Undeveloped Immune System
- Exposure to High Concentrations of Mold
- Exposure to Toxic Mold
Some indoor molds have the ability to produce mycotoxins, which are toxic byproducts produced during metabolism. Symptoms caused by mycotoxins vary depending on the type, amount, and duration of exposure. Mycotoxicoses can result in acute toxicity, causing a rapid onset and obvious symptoms of toxic response, or chronic toxicity, caused by low dose exposure over a long period of time, typically resulting in cancers and other irreversible effects. In either scenario, the mycotoxins can enter the body via ingestion, skin contact, or inhalation.
We at SERVPRO of North Central Mecklenburg County are trained in the removal of mold. We are here to help answer questions you may have and to offer sound practical advice. Call us at (704)0596-9700
SERVPRO of North Central Mecklenburg County
Indoor Mold, How much do you really know?
An indoor mold problem can show itself in different ways. Some common indicators include:
- Visible mold growth
- Musty or moldy smell
- Staining/discoloring of the ceiling or walls (water damage stains)
- Known leak or water damage (within the past few years)
Any of the above should bring about concern with property owners or occupants as they can be an indicator of an indoor mold problem.
Unfortunately, while these conditions should warrant a reaction, many people don’t react until their health or the health of someone they know is impacted.
Despite the indicators, addressing a potential mold problem is important. The first step in this process is to verify whether or not you actually have a problem and, if one is present, the size of the problem.
Several environmental inspection companies are available to investigate a property to determine if a harmful mold growth and environmental contamination exists. During the property inspection, samples of the air and surfaces may be taken during the mold testing process. These samples should then be analyzed by an independent third party lab to detect the presence or absence of mold growth within the area in question.
If the investigation of the property concludes that the indoor environment is unsafe, mold remediation should be pursued. It is not recommended that mold be remediated by a private party, regular contractor, or maintenance worker as this can exacerbate the problem. The best choice for mold remediation is a professional mold remediation or damage restoration company that is experienced and certified in environmental remediation and decontamination such as SERVPRO of North Central Mecklenburg County.
SERVPRO of North Central Mecklenburg County
Winston and Nichole
One thing that SERVPRO of North Central train and learn new techniques.
This week Winston and Nichole were able to attend an area meeting. These meetings are great because they are educational, but allow the staff to have a little fun.
While attending a local training session by SERVPRO corporate employees Nichole and Winston learned things that will help them during the job as well as for customers.
After our employees come back from training we love to hear from the. When Nichole was asked what was her favorite part of the training she said, "It was good to hear from other franchises about what works for them and what doesn't. I also like the changes that are being made on the website. Website changes allow customers to see who they are dealing with and get feedback from other people who went through a situation just like them".
Charlotte's Spring is the Beginning of Mold Season
SERVPRO of North Central Mecklenburg County can help you remove that nasty odor.
With spring upon us, it's time to think about spring cleaning and getting rid of that odor that's lingered all winter. Let the experts at SERVPRO of North Central Mecklenburg County come out and inspect your home and offer an effective plan for removing that smell. Be it pet odor, fireplace odor, cigarette odor or mold, we use the IICRC indstry standards to eliminate the smells. We are used time and time again by real estate professionals to remove cigarette smoke odors from a home before it is put up for sale. We also will throughly clean your carpets and ducts and vents if necessary. Call our office at (704)596-9700 to discover what we can do to help start your spring off right.