Lake Norman Residents, are you Hurricane Prepared?
We at SERVPRO of North Central Mecklenburg County want to remind residents of Charlotte, Huntersville, Cornelius and Davidson, NC that now is the time to start preparing for the upcoming hurricane season.
-Make sure you have bottled water, a first aid kit, flashlights, a battery-powered radio, non-perishable food items, blankets, clothing, prescription drugs, eyeglasses, personal hygiene supplies, and a small amount of cash or traveler’s checks.
-Take proactive steps to protect your property from loss. Install storm shutters or cover windows prior to a hurricane. Be sure there is no loose siding on your home and no damaged or diseased trees growing over your home.
-Take an inventory of your personal property, such as clothes, jewelry, furniture, computers and audio/video equipment. Photos and video of your home, as well as sales receipts and the model and the serial numbers of items, will make filing a claim simpler, leave a copy of your inventory with friends or relatives, e-mail it to yourself, and/or store it in a safe location. In addition, add insurance information to your inventory information – the name of your company and agent, policy number and contact information.
-Move all of your important documents to a safe location. Take them with you when you evacuate or store them in a safe deposit box outside the area.
-Make a plan for your pets. Not all emergency shelters will take pets. Check with your local veterinarian for help with plan.
-Review your insurance coverage. What does your insurance policy cover? What does it exclude? The standard homeowners’ insurance policy does not cover flood damage. Check if your policy covers debris removal and sewer back-up.
Above all else, stay safe!
Know who to call,Cornelius, for your Water and Flooding Needs
Flooding and water emergencies don’t wait for regular business hours and neither do we. SERVPRO of North Central Mecklenburg County provides emergency cleaning and restoration services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week—including all holidays.
Faster To Any Size Disaster
Flooding and water damage is very invasive. Water quickly spreads throughout your home and gets absorbed into floors, walls, furniture, and more. SERVPRO of North Central Mecklenburg County arrives quickly and starts the water extraction process almost immediately. This immediate response helps to minimize the damage and the cleaning and restoration costs.
Need Emergency Service? Call Us 24/7 – 704-596-9700
Water Damage Timeline
- Water quickly spreads throughout your property, saturating everything in its path.
- Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and belongings.
- Furniture finishes may bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets.
- Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp.
Hours 1 - 24:
- Drywall begins to swell and break down.
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
- Furniture begins to swell and crack.
- Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods spread and stain.
- A musty odor appears.
48 Hours to 1 Week:
- Mold and mildew may grow and spread.
- Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp.
- Metal begins to rust and corrode.
- Furniture warps and shows signs of mold.
- Paint begins to blister.
- Wood flooring swells and warps.
- Serious biohazard contamination is possible.
More Than 1 Week:
- Restoration time and cost increase dramatically; replacing contaminated materials and structural rebuilding may be extensive.
- Structural safety, mold growth, and biohazard contaminants pose serious risks to occupants.
About SERVPRO of North Central Mecklenburg County
SERVPRO of North Central Mecklenburg County specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
For more information follow us on Facebook:
Sign In for Continuing Education Class
Here at SERVPRO of North Central Mecklenburg County we value learning and education. Dealing with restoration and construction there are always changes to rules and guidelines. Rules and guidelines don't just change for those completing the work, but standards change for insurance companies as well. April 26, 2019 we hosted a continuing education class at Davidson College. The topic of this class was Fire and Property Damage. The attendees of this class were insurance agents, adjusters, relators, and some of our very own technicians and supervisors. This class was a great learning experience to all and it was a great way for insurance adjusters to get education credits to keep license up and our technicians to stay certified with the IICRC. When people say WHY SERVPRO this is just one of many reasons.
Thunderstorm Safety Tips
Severe thunderstorms can be dangerous and even life threatening. Being prepared beforehand can keep you safe and secure during a thunderstorm. Here are some safety tips that you can do before, during, and after the thunderstorm.
- Keep an up to date medical kit within your home in an accessible area.
- Keep multiple flashlights with extra batteries, you don't know if you could lose power.
- Be stocked up on extra food and water
- If anyone in your family takes a special type of medicine, keep an extra stock with your medical kit.
- Check the weather forecast and be up to date on the storm around your area.
- Take shelter in a safe and sturdy area and stay inside.
- Turn off your air conditioning and anything else that uses a large amount of power
- If flash flooding occurs, get to the highest ground possible.
- Check around your home to see if you have any damages to your structure or property.
- Avoid any downed power lines.
- Be neighborly! Check in on your neighbors, especially anyone who is elderly or requires special assistance.
- Continue to monitor the storm and watch its path.
Grease Fires and How To Prevent Them
This kitchen suffered fire damage from a grease fire in the local Charlotte area.
Grease fires are one of the number one causes of home fires and home injuries. A grease fire can potentially cause you to lose your kitchen, our even your home if they are not dealt with properly. Here are proper ways to deal with a grease fire and ways you can prevent a grease fire.
First off, how does a grease fire start?
- A grease fire can occur when cooking oil becomes too hot and begins to ignite itself. Vegetable oils commonly have a smoking point of 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
I've created a grease fire, what do I do?
- DO NOT PUT WATER ON A GREASE FIRE. Some may think the number one way to put out a fire is with water. As that may be correct in some situations, within this situation it is not. The water instead will cause the burning oil to splash which will cause the fire to spread instantly.
- Instead of using water, you want to starve the fire of oxygen so grab a metal lid or baking sheet and cover the fire.
- Turn off the heat source
- If the fire itself is small ,you can pour baking soda or salt to put it out. If you don't have those, you can use a Class B dry chemical fire extinguisher to extinguish the fire.
IF YOU CANNOT EXTINGUISH THE FIRE, EVACUATE IMMEDIATELY AND CALL 911
How do I prevent a grease fire?
- If you are ever cooking, frying, boiling, or any type of cooking, it is best to stay in the kitchen at all times to keep an eye on everything
- Keep anything flammable away from your stovetop
- If you exceed recommended grease temperatures and notice it begin to smoke, turn off the burner and let it cool.
- Keep a lid near the pan you are cooking in
Remember anytime you are cooking with heat, be smart and be prepared!
Odor Problem? We know just what to do!
Tired of your home spelling bad? Let the experts at SERVPRO of North Central Mecklenburg County come out and inspect your home and offer an effective plan for removing that smell. Be it pet odor, barbeque odor, cigarette odor or mold, we use the IICRC industry standards to eliminate the smells. Not only do we use the IICRC standards, but our technicians are also IICRC certified in Odor Control. We are used time and time again by real estate professionals to remove cigarette smoke odors from a home before it is put up for sale. We also will thoroughly clean your carpets and ducts and vents if necessary. Call our office at (704)596-9700 to discover what we can do to help start your New Year off right.
Ways to Prevent Kitchen Fires
Kitchen Fire Spreading Quickly
House fires happen year around. Kitchen fires are number 1 on the list of leading causes of house fires. The kitchen is an area of the house that is used daily, but can be the most dangerous. There are a few safety tips SERVPRO of North Central Mecklenburg County would like to share with you. Next time you are in the kitchen try to do the following:
1) Pull back your hair and roll up your shirt sleeves to keep them away from cooking services
2) Keep children and animals away from cooking surfaces.
3) Use kitchen time so you know when food is done.
4) Check and make sure the stove top and oven are completely off when exiting the kitchen.
5) Keep a lid close by when you are cooking to smother small fires.
6) Keep pot holders, towels, paper towels away from the stove top.
7) When using cooking oil don't leave the kitchen and be very attentive.
These are things we often forget about, but can cause a kitchen fire quickly.
When storms hit Charlotte, Cornelius, Davidson, or Huntersville SERVPRO of NCMC is ready!
Always Ready! Always On-Call! Always here for YOU!
SERVPRO of North Central Mecklenburg County specializes in storm and flood damage restoration. Our crews are highly trained and we use specialized equipment to restore your property to its pre-storm condition.
SERVPRO prides itself in it's fast response times.
Since we are locally owned and operated, we are able to respond quickly with the right resources. A fast response lessens the damage, limits further damage, and reduces the restoration cost.
Resources to Handle Floods and Storms
When storms hit Charlotte, Huntersville, Cornelius or Davidson NC., we can scale our resources to handle a large storm or flooding disaster. We can access equipment and personnel from a network of 1,650 Franchises across the country and elite Disaster Recovery Teams that are strategically located throughout the United States.
Have Storm or Flood Damage? Call Us Today 704-596-9700
Huntersville and Davidson County Residents: Follow These Mold Safety Tips If You Suspect Mold
Be Very Careful Around Mold. Without Proper Training You Can Spread Mold Throughout Your Home.
If you see visible mold, do not disturb it. You can inadvertently spread the mold infestation throughout your home. When mold is disturbed, the mold can release microscopic mold spores which become airborne and can circulate inside your home.
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of North Central Mecklenburg County for mold remediation services.
What Not to Do:
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
About Our Mold Remediation Services
SERVPRO of North Central Mecklenburg County specializes in mold cleanup and restoration, in fact, it’s a cornerstone of our business. We deal with it on a daily basis. Our crews are highly trained restoration professionals that use specialized equipment and techniques to properly remediate your mold problem quickly and safely.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – 704-596-9700 and follow us on Facebook www.facebook.com/SERVPRONCMC/
Restoring Your Charlotte Commercial Property After A Water Damage Event
Unique Challenges with Commercial Water Damage
Flooding and water damage events at Charlotte, Huntersville, Cornelius or Davidson commercial properties are often complex with numerous issues that require a knowledgeable and flexible response. Whether we’re dealing with a relatively small water cleanup scenario or a large scale event, we work quickly to assess each unique situation and isolate the damaged area. In many instances, normal operations can continue in a temporary space while we restore your facility.
Restoring Commercial Properties Presents Unique Challenges
Our professionals are trained to be mindful of legal and environmental concerns and strive to fully restore the damaged area while working within your budgetary constraints. We understand that every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when an emergency situation arises in your business, give us a call and we’ll be there fast with the help you need.
About SERVPRO of North Central Mecklenburg County
SERVPRO of North Central Mecklenburg County specializes in the cleanup and restoration of commercial and residential property after a water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.